05 Oct The Benefits of Nanoemulsion
Obviously, we believe in the efficacy of nanoemulsion, but we are not the only ones. Nanoemulsion has been extensively studied and is used in a variety of applications in the health care field.
In their paper “Nanoemulsion: an advanced mode of drug delivery system,” which appeared in the journal 3 Biotech, Manjit Jaiswal, Rupesh Dudhe and P. K. Sharma say that the advantages associated with nanoemulsion include:
- It may be used as substitute for liposomes and vesicles (Bouchemal et al. 2004a, b).
- It improves the bioavailability of drug (Kim et al. 2001; Wagner et al. 1996).
- It is non-toxic and non-irritant in nature.
- It has improved physical stability.
- Nanoemulsions have small-sized droplets having greater surface area providing greater absorption.
- It can be formulated in variety of formulations such as foams, creams, liquids, and sprays.
- It provides better uptake of oil-soluble supplements in cell culture technology.
- It helps to solubilize lipophilic drug.
- Helpful in taste masking.
- Less amount of energy is required.
The authors go on to say, “Magnetic nanoparticles can be used to enhance site specificity. As a drug delivery system they enhance the therapeutic efficacy of the drug and minimize adverse effect and toxic reactions.”
Of course, there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to nanoemulsions. To work effectively and provide the desired results, any given nanoemulsion will need three primary ingredients:
- An active ingredient
- And a surfactant formulation.
The active ingredient might be a therapeutic drug. In the case of cannabinoid nanoemulsions, that active ingredient will either be CBD or THC.
We’re not talking a pinch of this and a spoonful of that. Nanoemulsions are complex and very specific combinations that are usually formulated by a trained chemist.
Cannasol Technologies has the expertise to assist you in developing a customized formulation that can be used to manufacture cannabinoid nanoemulsions. Variables include flavor profiles and particle size as well as the specific cannabinoids and other active ingredients used.
If you have questions about the benefits of nanoemulsions, such as enhanced bioavailability, please contact us. We would be happy to discuss this exciting science with you.